Design & Technology
Design and technology helps to prepare children for the developing
world. The subject encourages children to become creative
problem-solvers, both as individuals and as part of a team. Through
the study of design and technology they combine practical skills
with an understanding of aesthetic, social and environmental
issues. Design and Technology helps all children to become
discriminating and informed consumers and potential innovators. It
should assist children in developing a greater awareness and
understanding of how everyday products are designed and made.
- To develop imaginative thinking in children and to enable them to talk about
what they like and dislike when designing and making;
- To enable children to talk about how things work, and to draw and model
- To encourage children to select appropriate tools and techniques for making
a product, whilst following safe procedures;
- To foster enjoyment, satisfaction and purpose in designing and making;
- To use software to assist our designing and learning.
Teachers ensure that the children apply their knowledge and understanding when developing ideas, planning and making products and then evaluating them. We do this through a mixture of whole class teaching and individual/group activities. All ideas will be treated with respect. Children critically evaluate their own work and that of others. They have the opportunity to use a wide range of materials and resources, including IT.